Date: 9/3/18 5:06 pm
From: Patricia Wood <pwood...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Nighthawks, finally!
Thanks to all who have been posting about their sightings of nighthawks, because I've really enjoyed reading them. I used to hear them peenting and see them flying lowish over downtown DC when I would come out from work at MLK Library in the evening at this time of year. It's been quite a few years since I've had that experience; I haven't even seen a nighthawk anywhere for a while. So, tonight, I got onto a lounge chair with a view of the sky about 6 pm, and stayed til about 7:30. And I saw at least 23 nighthawks fly over in that time! I was surprised at how downright satisfying it was just to look at them again.

They were in ones and twos, mostly. The first 2 or 3 went west, and one of the later ones was going east, but starting a few minutes before 7, they were going south. No flocks, at most as many as five that came thru one soon after the other. If I'd been walking and looking up occasionally, I'd have surely missed most or all of them. A lovely way to spend the evening just lying back and watching the sky!

Patricia Wood
Silver Spring