Date: 9/3/18 12:16 am
From: <sharks_hockey_maniac...> [central_valley_birds] <central_valley_birds-noreply...>
Subject: [CVBirds] Yolo County Shorebirds and Passarines
Sorry for not getting this out sooner. After viewing the Buff-breasted Sandpiper at Yolo Bypass this morning with Dan Kopp, the group from Sac Audubon and others (there was a Cackling Goose in the same check as the BBSA and two Snow Geese to the east) I walked east along the south edge of the fall shorebird ponds. Way out at the eastern most check I found a Semipalmated Sandpiper and a Lesser Yellowlegs. This check contained the vast majority of waterfowl and shorebirds I saw at the bypass today. There I found a huge flock of Green-winged Teal, a few shovelers and large numbers of Greater Yellowlegs, Western and Least Sandpipers and dowitchers. After getting back to my car and heading for the exit I spotted a Barn Owl roosting in one of the willows on the east side of the auto tour, a bit south of lot "C", and at the end of the boardwalk north of lot "B" I found six YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRDS.

After lunch in West Sac (I highly recommend Raku Sushi), I went to Putah Creek at the end of Hopkins Road. I was there for nearly two hours and never moved more than .2 miles from the car! I found a plethora of migrants, even though it was not the best time for birding (3:00-5:00pm). I saw at least one Western Wood-Pewee, several Pacific-slope Flycatchers, a Warbling Vireo and a second vireo that I did not get a good enough look at to positively ID (but it definitely was not a Warbling, the bird was very gray, w/o a strong supercillium or bold spectacles), several each Orange-crowned, Yellow, Black-throated Gray and Wilson's Warblers, one Townsend's Warbler, several Western Tanagers, and a dozen or more female/immature Lazuli Buntings. I also heard some Cedar Waxwings and a Black-headed Grosbeak.

Ralph Baker, Riverbank

Join us on Facebook!