Date: 9/2/18 6:50 pm
From: Donald Sweig via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] NIGHTHAWKS and SWIFTS
About 20 members of the Northern Virginia Bird Club met at 16th and Edgewood in South Arlington tonight for the annual Nighthawk and Swift watch. What was probably the highlight of the night occurred at about 7:30, even before the Swifts headed for the chimney. Someone spotted and we all watched a group of 35 to 40, Common Nighthawks, high up, and seriously migrating SSW.
None of these birds were flying around or feeding; they were seriously migrating.
The Swift count, about 8 o’clock, was about 200 birds going down into a chimney.
Many of the group then proceeded down to the Air Force Memorial to look for more Nighthawks in the lights. We did not find any. So, I then got out my scope and several of us had really nice views of the bright and red planet Mars, the planet Jupiter with four moons, and a smallish but crystal clear view of Saturn and its glorious rings. All in all a very nice evening.
Thanks to Joanna Taylor for organizing and leading the watch.
Donald Sweig
Falls Church, Virginia

Sent from my iPad