Date: 9/2/18 10:24 am
From: Sue McGrath <newburyportbirders...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] 2018 Purple Martins Nesting Season - Salisbury Beach State Reservation

Hi, Birders,

This was the second season for the 12 gourd array at Salisbury Beach
State Reservation.  I was shocked to find on a March morning that a
storm had dropped the martin post & split its bottom.  The wind was
clocked at 72 mph the night the post toppled.  Jane Sender and I took
the post to a local welder for damage assessment.  The welder wasn't
able to repair the split but cut off about 5 inches, and the post was
then re-enforced & re-installed with Dave Adrien's assistance.
Gratefully, the returning martins weren't effected by the shorter post...

The wrackline at Salisbury is raked daily, and the martins constructed
their nests mainly pine needles [on top the landlord-provided wood chips].

Gourds: 12
Eggs: 4
Fledged Young: 4   [2017 - 2]

Good birding,
Sue

Sue McGrath
Volunteer Purple Martin Landlord at SBSR
Newburyport, MA

-

Join us on Facebook!