Date: 9/1/18 6:30 pm
From: Manfred Kusch <makusch...> [central_valley_birds] <central_valley_birds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [CVBirds] Putah Cr Summer Tanager, Lewis's Woodpecker, warblers
Interesting report, and it builds on similar reports from that location in the past couple of weeks. It is interesting to me because after a short pulse of multiple warblers (Wilson”s, Orange-crowned, Black-throated Gray, Yellow, Nashville, and Common Yellowthroat) plus low numbers of Western Tanagers, I have encountered hardly any warblers along my stretch of the creek, only about 2.5 miles upstream from the location Steve and others have been reporting about. Today, not a single bird came to the traditional bathing spot upstream from my place between 9 and 10:30 when in past years this would be among the busiest times of the fall migration with often over 50 warblers coming to bathe within an hour or an hour and a half. The riparian habitat looks about as good as one could wish for, oaks, cottonwoods, willows, black walnuts, modesto ash, etc.. It feels rather strange not to see warblers moving through this prime habitat.

On a different note, a pair of Barn Swallows on my back porch is attempting a third brood. A total of 9 chicks fledged from the first two broods, but apparently that was not enough for these birds. The young of this third brood hatched only a few days ago and so will not fledge until early in the second half of September when most Barn Swallows will have left for their wintering grounds. If I remember correctly, a pair, probably the same one, raised a late third brood in the same place. I usually remove the mud nests after the breeding season, and this pair rebuilt the nest in exactly the same spot.

On Sep 1, 2018, at 3:52 PM, Steve Hampton <stevechampton...><mailto:<stevechampton...> [central_valley_birds] <central_valley_birds-noreply...><mailto:<central_valley_birds-noreply...>> wrote:

I saw nine warbler species this morning at Putah Creek, UC Davis (Wilson's, Yellow, Orange-cr, Black-thr Gray, Hermit, Townsend's, Nashville, MacGillivray's, and Common Yellowthroat). I think that's a first for me. That said, I've had five of these in the last few hours at the fountain in my backyard!

I also found the continuing Summer Tanager (not very cooperative -- it sang, called, and made a very brief appearance at 11am near the water pipe outflow by Hopkins) and had a flyover Lewis's Woodpecker (typical Sept behavior for this species-- flying high down the creek).

Full list and a few more pics at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48218058

good birding,

--
Steve Hampton