Date: 9/1/18 3:53 pm
From: Pat <pvaldata1...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Hummers in danger
Actually, I do think they've started south. The feeding frenzy last week was something to watch. I could see 3 or 4 at a time most days. Now, we're down to one, it seems. But that one was very wary of the preying mantis!
Pat
Pat ValdataCrisfield, MD
-------- Original message --------From: James Tyler Bell <jtylerbell...> Date: 9/1/18 5:35 PM (GMT-05:00) To: Maryland Birding <mdbirding...>, Patricia Valdata <pvaldata1...> Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Hummers in danger
Perhaps a less dire reason for your hummer drop off is migration. Labor Day weekend used to be the big blastoff for Ruby-throats but they tend to linger longer these days. We still have at least one pair but expect visitation to drop off in the next week.

Tyler Bell
<jtylerbell...>
California, Maryland

On Saturday, September 1, 2018, 12:41:15 PM EDT, Patricia Valdata <pvaldata1...> wrote:

I noticed a sudden, sharp drop-off in hummingbird activity yesterday and today. Only one hummer approached the feeder while I was watching today, but it was very skittish and never drank.

I went out to change the nectar and discovered the reason: a preying mantis was lurking on the side of the humzinger, just below the red lid.
Mantis was escorted to the other side of our yard, but I'll make a point of checking the outside of the feeder more carefully every day from now on.

Pat ValdataCrisfield, Somerset County