Date: 9/1/18 11:03 am
From: Larry Meade via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] NVBC at Huntley Meadows Hike-Bike side-Shorebird Show

Birders from the Northern Virginia Bird Club visited Huntley Meadows Park in Fairfax County this morning. This time, we were on the Hike-Bike side of the park on Telegraph Road. The walk was led by Stacia Novy and me. Conditions were cloudy and muggy, but the rain had moved out by the time we started. We did pretty well with 56 species observed overall. The highlight was the nine shorebird species we saw in the main marsh. We viewed them from the platform which is next to the berm and can be reached by traveling down the trail to the right before you reach the end of the paved trail. After scanning for a while, we found Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, Solitary, Spotted, Pectoral, Least and Semipalmated Sandpipers, plus Killdeer and a Semipalmated Plover. We were a bit disappointed with the lack of warblers with only a Common Yellowthroat and American Redstart tallied. However, we did see Wild Turkeys, Scarlet Tanagers, Wood Ducks, a Bald Eagle and a Blue Grosbeak.

Larry Meade
Merrifield, VA