Date: 9/1/18 9:44 am
From: bob augustine <augustinebob8...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Nighthawks
After seeing none all week, last evening I had 31 Nighthawks, most in a group of 20 just after 7 pm. I think this means they are now in our area, but this was likely just a "test flight" as the wind was from the S and 6 birds were heading N--unusual at such a late hour. The big flight may be coming tonight. With the storms predicted, it should be interesting. Storms often cause Nighthawks to flock more and if storms come from the W as projected they may bunch up in our area moving East to avoid them. Also, storms mean lots of lift to produce the cumulus clouds, lift that also gets insects up.

Bob Augustine
Rockville