Date: 9/1/18 9:41 am
From: Patricia Valdata <pvaldata1...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Hummers in danger
I noticed a sudden, sharp drop-off in hummingbird activity yesterday and
today. Only one hummer approached the feeder while I was watching today,
but it was very skittish and never drank.

I went out to change the nectar and discovered the reason: a preying mantis
was lurking on the side of the humzinger, just below the red lid.

Mantis was escorted to the other side of our yard, but I'll make a point of
checking the outside of the feeder more carefully every day from now on.

Pat Valdata
Crisfield, Somerset County