Date: 8/31/18 4:41 pm
From: Warblerick <ricksussman1955...>
Subject: [MDBirding] More on the nighthawks
I've watched a lot of Common Nighthawks over the years, but tonights show over my yard was the best I've ever seen. They began coming over just before 6pm, and didn't stop until the storm began about 7:15. As the clouds moved in, the birds got lower, and performed every type of aerial maneuver they can. They swooped, swerved, stalled, went into dives, did flycatching turns, and flew straight away with nary a wing beat. While we were covering the pool, just after 7, they were flying just over us, perhaps 10 feet up, catching insects over the backyard. I stopped counting at just over 130, and settled in to watch the amazing show!

Rick Sussman
Woodbine, MD