Date: 8/29/18 8:45 am
From: bob augustine <augustinebob8...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Recent Range Extensions
Some data from North American Birds--my favorite magazine--reveal some northward range extensions. We should expect to see these birds more frequently:

1. Sandwich Tern--In 2005 400 pairs nested on Wreck Island, VA.

2. White Ibis--Nesting on Fisherman's Island, VA. 123 were seen at ESVNWR on 8 Oct. 2005; 1700 were seen over the Chincoteague causeway 23 July 2015.

3. Brown Pelican--3331 chicks were banded in the Chesapeake Bay in July 2008.

4. Wood Stork--The first NC nesting (and colony) involved 149 nests in Columbus County, SE NC in May 2008.

5. Anhinga--The first nest in VA was found in a Great Blue Heron rookery on Oriana Road in Harwood Mills Reservoir, north of Newport News, VA in June 2009.

In addition to the Roseate Spoonbills reported from PA,IN,IL,IA,MO,MN,ME, (and QC?)(reminiscent of 2009),there is a Reddish Egret at Oliphant,ON and a Hooded Oriole (ad male) on Seal Island, NS. Pelagic birders saw 25 White-faced Storm Petrels from a boat out of Hyannis, MA (A25-26) and a Yellow-nosed Albatross was seen off Jeddore, NS (A18). These were drawn from Birding On the Net.

Bob Augustine
Rockville
August 29, 2018