Date: 8/28/18 6:01 pm
From: Daniel Edelstein <danieledelstein...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Hermit Warbler, Townsend's Warbler, Grasshopper Sparrow, Wilson's Phalarope, Etc.
Today while leading a tour for a third straight day with a Manhattan birder, I visited several locations with him.

Highlights:

- In the Marin Headlands, Sausalito, one juvenile/hatch-year HERMIT WARBLER was present in a large Monterey Cypress
adjacent to and immediately south of the backdoors of the dormitory uphill from the Headlands Visitor Center.

Thanks to William Legge for noting this species and this location in his post yesterday (!)

- The same clump of trees hosted three TOWNSEND’S WARBLER (that may be passing through or may remain for the non-breeding season (?) ):
two were juveniles/hatch-years….one was a female.

The ebird checklist for these sightings is at:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48139397 <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48139397>

- At Mt. Burdell in the meadow ~.5 from the trailhead via San Andreas, one GRASSHOPPER SPARROW was present.
I also heard a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (which also nests at this location) in the forest halfway up the trail to the meadow and toward the east…... while my birder friend, Jonathan Slifkin, discovered a Hutton’s Vireo in the same area.

- Earlier, at the lowest tide of the day when mudflats were exposed in the sloughs adjacent to the Las Gallinas Wildlife Ponds in
San Rafael, we noticed one RIDGWAY’S RAIL (a state and federally endangered species) that foraged for a few moments in the
open next to pickleweed.

By the way, yesterday, one WILSON’S PHALAROPE was present in the farthest south Ellis Creek Sanitation District pond
that is currently drained (per Peter Colasanti’s recent report).

Also yesterday at Rush Creek in Novato, one LESSER YELLOWLEG individual was present approximately 200 yards north of
the trailhead/fire access road on the south side of this wetland. Its field marks juxtaposed well with the 16 other Greater Yellowlegs
that were nearby.

Regards,

Daniel Edelstein

Novato, CA