Date: 8/27/18 9:56 am
From: William Hohenstein via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Swainson's Warbler in nearby WV
While not a VA bird -- Hopefully folks find this useful.

I visited Babcock State Park -- across the border in WV and found
Swainson's Warblers still on territory and two that were still singing.
The singing started very early in to morning on two consecutive days and
did not continue much beyond sunup.

The birds defended their territory with chip calls through the morning.
Almost impossible to see, the Swainson's kept well covered in the deepest
Rhododendron thickets.

If you go, check out Old Sewell Road.

With a lot of time and patience, I was able to get a few glimpses. On the
ease of viewing scale I would put them south of Kentucky Warblers... in the
range of Saltmarsh Sparrows.

Here is a link to videos for your enjoyment:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/73831614@N00/albums/72157672772567198

Does anyone have experience with the VA Swainson's Warblers that inhabit
the Great Dismal Swamp. Are they still around (and singing?)? What should
their late dates be?

Bill