Date: 8/27/18 9:24 am
From: Robert Furrow <robertfurrow...> [central_valley_birds] <central_valley_birds-noreply...>
Subject: [CVBirds] Dusky Flycatcher at Grasslands RP, 8/27/18, 8am
This morning I birded Grasslands Regional Park. It was birdy, as usual,
with the highlight being a DUSKY FLYCATCHER. Notes on ID are in the eBird
list here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48108128. I found it along
the sunny eastern edge of the northern half of the archery range, at the
east end of lanes 26, 27, and 28. Later on I had another sighting of a
Dusky at the east end of lanes 12 and 13. It was similarly an adult with a
slight crest, so I suspected that it was the same bird. But I did hear
multiple sharp Dusky-like "whit" calls at the same time, so I wouldn't be
surprised if there were 2+ birds around.

No signs of the Green-tailed Towhee. I ran into Holly Coates and Emmett
Iverson, and they mentioned that they had searched several times for the
towhee in the past few days, with no luck. But who knows, it could still
be quietly lurking.

As Steve noted, this is an active archery range, so birding is safest when
you have the place to yourself (until around 8:30 or 9 on weekday
mornings). If archers are around, be absolutely sure that no one is
shooting before you walk in any area behind a target.

Happy birding,
Rob

--
Robert Furrow