Date: 8/26/18 6:40 pm
From: pbudde <pbudde...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] more on nighthawks
The North Shore of Lake Superior acts as a terrific funnel for southbound nighthawks -- and many other species. In recent years censusing activities in late August/early September have tallied over 28,000 nighthawks in one day in 2015 and almost 31,000 in 2013, so this season's 14,000 isn't extraordinary for there. But even these recent impressive numbers are dwarfed by the 1-day 1990 total of just under 47,000!
Paul
Paul BuddeWashington, <DCpbudde...>
(Sent from a smartphone)
-------- Original message --------From: Harry Armistead <harryarmistead...> Date: 8/26/18 9:04 PM (GMT-05:00) To: mdbirds googlegroup <mdbirding...> Subject: [MDBirding] more on nighthawks

I wasn't trying to dispute the feeling of so many of us that nighthawks are in decline when I reported the sighting of 14,000+ at Hawk Ridge, Minnesota, in one day recently.  It occurred to me that some might have taken it that way.  I have felt for years that
they have been in drastic decline in areas of the Delmarva Peninsula I'm familiar with both as breeders and migrants.  Used to be on the May counts, when I was the only participant, or just had 1 or 2 friends with me, all you had to do was drive through Cambridge
with the windows down at dusk, or in the middle of the night, and w/o even stopping you'd hear 1 or 2 or 3.  It's rare to get them at all now, even with a dozen or more participants.  When they are commoner I'd see not nearly as many on the Eastern Shore as
others would on the other side, in the Piedmont, etc.  My high for Rigby's Folly was 40 on Sept. 2, 1974.  Haven't gotten even close to that at any other time, such as 15 on Aug. 18, 1995, 10 on Sept. 15, 1975, and 6 on Aug. 30, 1994. - Harry Armistead, Philadelphia.