Date: 8/26/18 2:09 pm
From: JAMES SPEICHER <jugornought...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] O.T. nighthawks
On 8/26/18, Harry Armistead <harryarmistead...> wrote:
> Hawk Ridge near Duluth, Minnesota, has huge flights every autumn.

Still off topic:
Once at Dolly Sods in WVA, I encountered a flock in daylight where the
birds were frequently giving their diving display that ends with the
generation of a whooshing sound at the bottom of the dive that Sibley
characterizes as "Hoooov." However described, it was a sound that got
your attention. Can't document the time of year - tho it was in the
1990's, possibly my trip of 8/21/1992. Other trips were April [once],
May [2x], and June [once].

Jim S.