Date: 8/25/18 3:09 pm
From: Paul Guidetti <guidettipaul...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Nahant Thicket/Stump dump 8/25
Good evening,
If the vines are porcelain berry
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampelopsis_glandulosa_var._brevipedunculata
they will be very attractive once the fruit ripens. I have a personal
vendetta against this vine as it is trying to take over my yard and
neighborhood. Birds love the fruit and seedlings sprout up everywhere in
the spring. Sadly, the vine and fruit are beautiful. They are fairly easy
to identify however.

On a birdier note, the orioles are hanging around eating jelly (and choke
cherries) and I’ve had a ton of dueling hummingbirds battling over my three
feeders.

Take care.
Paul Guidetti
Westford, MA

On Sat, Aug 25, 2018 at 5:46 PM Childs, Jackson <jchilds...>
wrote:

> I made a brief late morning stop here after the beach. No migrants in the
> thicket but a Northern Waterthrush, Canada warbler, and American Redstart
> in the back of the stump area.
>
> I've noticed the thicket has recently been overgrown with vines in many
> areas. I wonder if these are native. I would guess they are not very
> attractive to migrants? The stump area is largely free of them.
>

> Jackson Childs
> <jchilds...>
> Arlington, MA

Join us on Facebook!