Date: 8/25/18 12:17 pm
From: Paul Champlin <skua99...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Interesting week in Westport
Among other interesting things, I had at least one (twice) or two two separate Yellow-headed Blackbirds (one flying toward Acoaxet from the Horseneck side of the river (Monday afternoon), and one as part of morning flight (Friday)), an imm Lark Sparrow (Gooseberry parking lot, Friday), Common Nighthawk as part of Gooseberry morning flight, Friday.
Perhaps the most interesting, Friday night (around 9pm) at least three Hudsonian Godwits were seen and heard feeding on mole crabs in the intertidal zone of Cherry and Webb Beach (with the assistance of moonlight). Dozens of Whimbrel, Willets, and thousands of other shorebirds commonly do this during the day (even a Marbled Godwit), but I have never seen Hudsonians doing this, and have only seen a few on Gooseberry over the last 10 years. Is night foraging on this abundant food source a more common thing for this species, here? I wonder! There are literally trillions of Mole Crabs, but Hudwits are really uncommon in this part of the state.

Paul Champlin
Westport