Date: 8/25/18 11:30 am
From: Larry Meade via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] NVBC at Huntley Meadows Park, Aug 25, 2018

The Northern Virginia Bird Club kicked off the fall season at Huntley Meadows in Fairfax County this morning. We were looking for migrants and we found a few. We saw four species of warblers including Canada, Common Yellowthroat, Prothonotary and a Northern Waterthrush. The only shorebirds we spotted were a Killdeer and a Spotted Sandpiper. Other highlights included several Ruby-throated Hummingbirds. a Blue Grosbeak, Great-crested Flycatchers and Green Herons. There was no sign of the Olive-sided Flycatcher that was found yesterday. We will be at the Hike-Bike side of Huntley Meadows next Saturday at 7:30 AM. All are welcome to join us.

Larry Meade
Merrifield. VA

Huntley Meadows Park, Fairfax, Virginia, US
Aug 25, 2018 7:30 AM - 10:45 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.5 mile(s)
Comments: NVBC walk led by Larry Meade.
42 species

Mallard 4
Mourning Dove 4
Yellow-billed Cuckoo 3 Heard
Chimney Swift 6
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 8
Killdeer 1
Spotted Sandpiper 1
Great Blue Heron 5
Great Egret 3
Green Heron 7
Osprey 2
Red-shouldered Hawk 2
Belted Kingfisher 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 5
Downy Woodpecker 6
Pileated Woodpecker 4
Northern Flicker 2
Eastern Wood-Pewee 6
Acadian Flycatcher 2
Eastern Phoebe 2
Great Crested Flycatcher 2
Red-eyed Vireo 8
Blue Jay 2 Heard
American Crow 2 Heard
Barn Swallow 20
Carolina Chickadee 2 Heard
Tufted Titmouse 5 Heard
Carolina Wren 5 Heard
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 10
Eastern Bluebird 2
American Robin 4
Gray Catbird 6
American Goldfinch 15
Song Sparrow 1
Red-winged Blackbird 3
Common Grackle 9
Northern Waterthrush 1 Waterthrush with yellowish underparts, densely streaked underparts, narrow supercilium, bobbing tail straight up and down.
Prothonotary Warbler 1
Common Yellowthroat 2
Canada Warbler 1
Northern Cardinal 10