Date: 8/24/18 2:50 pm
From: Steve Arena <pokedaddy151...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Kathleen (Betty) Anderson
Dave -

Thank you for letting us know about this sad news.

Betty was a remarkable woman, an absolute force in ornithology and birding
for many, many years. Many birders may not know Betty but she was kind,
sharp, witty, and incredibly talented in all things. She never hesitated
in helping out other birders - young and old.

She is going to be sorely missed and you're right Dave, we have lost a
giant wonderful soul today.

Please keep us all posted of any upcoming public celebrations of her life.

Respectfully,
Steve
Westboro
Westborough, Massachusetts

Email: <pokedaddy151...> Photos: Steve Arena's Photos
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/pokedaddy/>

On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 3:30 PM David Larson <dlarson...>
wrote:

> Massbirders,
>
> I am sad to report that Betty Anderson passed away peacefully today at
> St. Elizabeth’s.
>
> Betty was an elemental force in ornithology in Massachusetts and beyond.
> She was a founder director of the Manomet Bird Observatory (now Manomet
> Center for Conservation Sciences), long-time member of the Massachusetts
> Natural Heritage and Endangered Species Advisory Committee, founder and
> first president of the Plymouth County Wildlands Trust, long-time member of
> the Policy Council of the American Bird Conservancy, and ornithologist at
> the Encephalitis Field Station, USPHS.
>
> At Manomet and at her home in Middleboro she mentored and developed many
> of the notable ornithologists of a generation.
>
> She was one of the first females to become a member of the Nuttall
> Ornithological Club, the first female president of the club, and an
> Honorary Member since 2008.
>
> Beyond all that, she was a warm and hospitable person with an enormous
> following of friends and admirers.
>
> Ornithology, Massachusetts, and the Nuttall Ornithological Club have all
> lost a giant today.
>
> Betty’s family plans a celebration of her life later in the fall.
>
> Dave
>

> David M. Larson, PhD
>
> President, Nuttall Ornithological Club
>
> Cambridge, MA