Date: 8/24/18 4:58 am
From: <reports...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Wachusett Mountain (23 Aug 2018) 11 Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 11 24 24

Observation start time: 09:45:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 5.25 hours

Official Counter: Rod Chase

Observers: Ted Mara

Visitors:
Observer Ted Mara. SO nice to have company today! Ted
covered the 1st fifteen minutes and kept interupting my
set-up as the first BW's appeared. Thanks.

Lisetta from Worcester.
Many hikers enjoying the cooler air, many drive-up folks were surprised by
the same cool..
Mass. Water Workers had annual outing down below
and many rode the ski lift up - also for a short, cool visit.

Weather:
10:45am - 3:00pm 5.25 hrs
60F/15.5C at start and 63/17 temp. at end.
Winds NW to N in AM then to NW and W in PM. Speed was
6-12mph at start but soon increased to 10-15 with occ.
gusts to 20mph.this lasted 'til last hour when it
dropped down to 5-10mph; by 2:15 at 5-7mph.
Overcast 20% thru 1pm and 40 and 50% during last 2 hrs.
Visibility 3-5 mi. rapidly expanded to 15mi/25Km. Even
with the constant haze we could just make out Mt. Graylock to west and
Boston in the east.
Barometric level today but humidity dropped from 53% to 41%. Nice, dry
feel at the end!

Raptor Observations:
Day started nicely! By 10am we had 6 immature RTs up and playing and the
local Cooper's Hawk made his first of three appearances.
Then from 10:10 to 10:50 we had 8 BW's blast thru while 2 of the local
BW's and a few local RT's were still up trying to confuse our count!
At 11am ... the bottom dropped out. For 3 hours we had the female adult
RT, the Coop made 2nd of his 3 appearances, and a local BW again.
Local "Bird of the day": a great ID by Ted: an immature Red-shouldered
hawk appeared on N updraft but quickly moved around and back down on SE.
(Ranger Wilson mentioned this probable local a few days ago. Says we
possibly have 2 Coops nesting somewhere below Oxbow Overlook.)
Final hour wind speed dropped way back and weak thermals finally appeared
on S side of hill. Five local TV's rose up and who noticed?! 2 Osprey took
advantage and 1 BW followed same route to SW between 2:30 and 2:40.

Non-raptor Observations:
Monarchs on the move: 3

5 Tree Swallows feeding.
4 D.C. Cormorants were last migrants of day.

Predictions:
Sunny, 80's and light west wind.
Report submitted by Rod Chase (<rodchase...>)
Wachusett Mountain information may be found at:
http://www.massbird.org/emhw

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=228

Join us on Facebook!