Date: 8/22/18 5:28 pm
From: <corvus8x...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Bodega Bay various sightings 08/22/2018
With the high overcast and light winds there was a good migrant wave this morning at Owl Canyon and Hole in the Head .

Most of the action was throughout the willows of Owl Canyon , upper, lower and along Westside Road.

Highlights were a calling and singing Gray Catbird. I never could get a visual on it but it was constantly chattering , mewing, weezing and single note " churts"somewhere in the first clearing above the Eucs. Song Sparrows can ramble on somewhat like a catbird but this was not what I have heard from Song Sparrows
(side note - When I lived in Humboldt Co , I found a catbird around this date in August and located it by similar calls) ..I heard the catbird for an hour off and on. I suspect its not far from the blackberry bushes ..

12 plus " Western "Flycathers
1 Olive-sided Flycatcher
2 Western Wood Pewee
1 Willow Flycatcher
1 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
1 male Townsend's Warbler
1 female type Black-throated Gray Warbler
8 Wilson's Warbler
3 Yellow Warbler
1 imm Common Yellowthroat
1 Cassin's Vireo
3 Warbling Vireo
1 Hutton's Vireo

2 fly over female type Purple Martins at Owl Canyon

I did a seawatch at Bodega Head

Perfect conditions ..

highlights -

Sooty Shearwaters were within a mile of land and I counted over a 1000 birds all streaming north.. Incredible sight. I am sure there were more ..
4 Red-necked Phalaropes
2 Marbled Murrelets - one in winter plumage the other still in alternate plumage.

At the entance pond near Doran there were 25 Red-necked Phalaropes in various ages and plumages.

At Carmony Road Ponds there two Red-necked Phalaropes

Best

Scott Carey

Sebastopol , Ca.

Join us on Facebook!