Date: 8/22/18 9:09 am
From: Ida Giriunas <ida8...>
Subject: FW: [MASSBIRD] More pelagic rarities from Skye Haas
Thanks to Sean William for this report of 8/15/18

The Brookline Bird Club will be going out there on 8/25,26. That trip is full. But we will be going out there again on September 22,23 and there is still space.

See below for registration information…

Ida GIriunas

Hello all,

Skye Haas is still conducting NOAA surveys beyond the continental shelf in warm Massachusetts waters. We are very fortunate to have such a keen observer beyond the shelf surveying an area that has received so little attention. He has been providing me with updates from the field as the rarities trickle in (although it's been more than a trickle). Below I provide a summary of some of his sightings from today and the past week. These sightings are additional to my previous email.

Brown Booby- 2 (Aug 10 and 14)

Masked Booby- 1 (Aug 13)

Barolo Shearwater- 1+ (Aug 13 and a couple other probables)

Black-capped Petrel- 18+ (Several seen every day)

Trindade Petrel- 1 (Aug 9)

Red-billed Tropicbird- 2 (both Aug 14)

Bridled Tern- 2 (Aug 10 and 12)

White-faced Storm-Petrel- 4-5 on various days

Band-rumped Storm-Petrel- only a few, not sure how many

Other highlights include Audubon's Shearwaters, Long-tailed Jaegers, flyby Whimbrels, and more.

Good birding,

Sean Williams

8/14/18

Time to sign up for our Brookline Bird Club September Pelagic trip.

Saturday–Sunday, September 22–23, 2018, 6:00 AM Saturday to 6 PM Sunday

Hyannis to Hydrographer, Veach, and Atlantis Canyon area for WHITE-FACED STORM PETRELS, other petrels, several species of shearwaters, jaegers, possible skua, terns and other seabirds and mammals.

Limit: 50 participants

Cost: BBC members $310, non-members $335

We have master birders Jeremiah Trimble, Nicholas Bonomo and two others leading these trips. Our boat, from Hyannis is the Helen H. It is a very comfortable, fast, 100-foot fishing boat with a knowledgeable and enthusiastic captain and crew. We use gallons of chum to attract the birds

To reserve a space, send a check for the full amount made out to Brookline Bird Club Agent along with a signed Waiver to Ida Giriunas, 83 Summer Ave, <https://maps.google.com/?q=83+Summer+Ave,+Reading,+MA+01867&entry=gmail&source=g> Reading, <https://maps.google.com/?q=83+Summer+Ave,+Reading,+MA+01867&entry=gmail&source=g> MA 01867 <https://maps.google.com/?q=83+Summer+Ave,+Reading,+MA+01867&entry=gmail&source=g>

To register and to receive further information and a waiver form:

Contact Ida at 781-929-8772, <mailto:<ida8...> <ida8...>

Ida Giriunas

Reading, MA

<mailto:<ida8...> <ida8...>