Date: 7/12/18 3:19 am
From: Amanda Tichacek <amanda.tichacek...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: IBET Techny prairie destroyed cook co.
Suzanne,

I am equally horrified. I went to Techny North on July 5 to find the interior areas had been mowed. I was hopeful that the sloped areas surrounding the path and basin would remain unmowed.

On July 6, I arrived to watch the mowers cutting down the remaining prairie plants. All of them cut short like turf grass. The area just past the willow tree if you take the path to the right, just the day before Savannah Sparrows carrying food and many chip notes coming from deep in the prairie plants (NB i had documented this breeding behavior with photos in my ebird checklist). Not to mention, all the Milkweed and other prairie plants important to pollinators and butterflies getting mowed down.

I have not been back since.

I am new to birding at Techny North. What is the history of this parcel? Has anybody (Chicago/IL Ornithological Society? Audubon? IBN?) ever reached out to the landowners? What can be done about this (at a minimum educating landowners to delay mowing until breeding season is over)? My understanding is this is private land, but at a minimum there are still protections for the breeding birds who use the prairie.

I’m actually a bit “shell shocked” by what I saw and haven’t been back since. It was a bit too reminiscent of the habitat destruction in a childhood favorite book and movie, “The Secret of NIMH”.

Amanda T
Skokie, Cook Co

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 12, 2018, at 12:37 AM, Suzanne Coleman <isooz...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...> wrote:
>
> Someone has destroyed the high quality prairie. I am horrified by this.
>
> Bird wise there were lesser ylegs, spotted, killdeer, solitaries, imm and ad black crowned night herons, 8 great egrets, kingbirds, lots of baby mallards, baby n tough winged swallows, barn swallows still going to nests.
>
> Suzanne Coleman
> Cook co.

Join us on Facebook!