Date: 7/11/18 4:20 pm
From: Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...>
Subject: [obol] Know when you're licked...
I just saw a cute little drama at my backyard feeder. I have one of those
suet feeders that is a cage-within-a-cage. The inner cage contains the suet
and has a mesh that is about Ľ inch size. The outer cage has a mesh that is
about 1 inch size. This lets the smaller birds in to get the suet while
excluding larger birds like starlings. Once inside, little birds can move
around the central suet cage and reach into it.

I saw busy activity at the feeder, indicating that bushtits were present. I
looked with my binoculars and saw a single Black-capped Chickadee in the
feeder with about 3 Bushtits. The chickadee was making aggressive charges
at the intruders with its mouth open wide, the clear “get out” message. The
bushtits pulled back, but more entered on the other side. The chickadee
marched around the outer “walkway” of the feeder, running off bushtits while
more poured in behind. Three, five, six, eight… At ten Bushtits the
chickadee was beaten and left the feeder.

Know when you’re licked.

Paul Sullivan

Join us on Facebook!