Date: 7/11/18 3:14 pm
From: Eve Meier <eve_m_meier...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Sanborn County Park (7/11/2018)
Hi Everyone,

Patricia Lynch and I birded Sanborn County Park this morning. We started with the Peterson Memorial Trail, made a right hand turn onto the Sanborn Trail which we followed for a short while, before returning to the parking area through the campground. The park was not particularly birdy but DARK-EYED JUNCOS, CHESTNUT-BACKED CHICKADEES AND STELLAR'S JAYS were everywhere. We also had a great view of a PACIFIC WREN in the understory of the redwoods which we first located by his call rather than song. We noted how well the bird blends in with his dark surroundings, his short tail, and how he looked like a mouse as he briefly ran across the forest floor. The only warblers we heard or saw were WILSON'S WARBLERS. Near campsite 20, we heard the call and then the loud whacking noise of a foraging PILEATED WOODPECKER. Other birds included several CASSIN'S VIREOS, 5 juvenile WILD TURKEYS, and a juvenile COOPER'S HAWK.

Eve Meier
San Jose (Cambrian Area)