Date: 7/11/18 12:20 pm
From: Catherine Fisher <catherineckx...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Nest adoption
Interspecfic feeding of nestlings is a well-documented phenomenon in
birds. It has been suggested that the instinct to feed is so strong that
it achieves a momentum that continues even when the reason for it has been
removed. Adult avians who have lost their young through nest predation,
storms, etc., will sometimes "adopt" nestlings of another species and feed
them. The most bizaare example was of a cardinal in North Carolina that
was observed over a period of several days feeding beaksful of worms to a
carp in a garden pool - the carp was used to being hand fed and perhaps the
cardinal, approaching the pool for a drink, found the carp's gape similar
enough to that of the gape of a nestling to trigger the feeding response.

Catherine Fisher, Lee NH

Join us on Facebook!