Date: 7/11/18 12:15 pm
From: m b via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Further reflections on interesting bird sightings and grammar
The funny thing is, if you think about it, the question of "I wonder how often this happens" regarding hummingbirds stuck in screens is actually outside the narrow realm of strictly "Virginia bird sightings".

Because how often hummingbirds get their bills stuck in screens is a bird behavioral issue. And a habitat issue.

And if we were then to further discuss the question of: "should hummingbird feeders be placed further away from screens, to avoid this problem in future", that would not only be a bird behavioral and habitat issue but a human behavioral issue. Neither of those things are specifically, narrowly, to do with the sighting of a bird.

I think this clearly speaks in support of a reasonably broad interpretation of the purpose of this list. The idea that someone would be off-topic if they asked either of those questions, upon being shown a dead hummingbird which got its bill caught in a house screen, is really unnecessarily limiting, in my view.

Bird habitat, bird behavior, dangers to birds, and extralimital info on where to see birds not in Virginia, for those Virginians who might wish to do so, (and might wish to be spared months of research,) I think are all wonderful parts of this list; information to which I always look forward to receiving.

Mb from NoVa