Date: 7/11/18 8:48 am
From: John Confer <confer...>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] spontaneously calling, backyard saw-whet
Karen and I were listening to a movie with a night scene in a forest when I heard a saw-whet toot - toot, etc. I jumped up to turn off the movie sound because I wasn't sure where the call came from. Amazing, my first ever in-my-yard, spontaneously calling saw-whet continued after the sound track was turned off!

By the way: I am going out on a limb and sawing it behind me. This year will be the best year ever for numbers of saw-whet banded! Last year's mega cone crop in Canada will support really high numbers of rodents, including red-backed voles. This food supply will support fat female saw-whets who will lay more eggs, and that food will assure that a high proportion of the hatched eggs actually fledge. Get ready for a great banding year. I have already ordered more bands for banding.

Hoot, hoot

ARCHIVES:

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/