Date: 7/11/18 8:01 am
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Is this a Western Wood-Pewee?
Sorry to sound so snarky I didn’t intend it to be so. Sounds like Jim is
consulting a guide too, just wasn’t sure from his e-mail if he was normally
looking at a field guide or just posting photos to OBOL. It certainly a
much better learning experience if one does that...

Jim is certainly a talented photographer- I apologize again for being
overly snarky.

Tim

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 8:37 PM Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
wrote:

> Jim,
>
> Just a suggestion. Why don’t you pull out a field guide and try a
> tentative ID before sending out all your photos? By that I mean saying I
> think it may be X but looks a bit like Y but Z is more expected in this
> habitat?
>
> I say this all because I was out doing work stuff in the field this
> weekend and a work friend was with me and asked how I learned bird
> songs/calls? The best way I think is to start in your backyard and work
> out. A bird you chase singing and finally see an hour or two chasing will
> never be forgotten. A bird song someone tells you is X without you seeing
> it can be forgotten in minutes. Plus learning which birds are even options
> only can happen if you do a bit of field work on your end.
>
> Anyhow, asking others what bird you photographed without consulting a
> field guide if whatever sort in the long run may not be the best way for
> you to figure out what birds you are seeing/hearing although you can’t
> argue about ID with a great photo (which you have many of). I just think
> that one should be able to ID a photo themselves with a bird book without
> asking for help as it is the best way to learn about bird ID. My two cents
> and I will try and dodge all pies with my squiggly wiggly bird moves.
>
> It isn’t easy to figure out which bird is what but I think the best and
> most rewarding way is to figure out the backyard stuff, branch out, and if
> you have photos pour over your field guide to narrow it down. If you just
> ask what is this and don’t do some background research you will never
> really be able to figure it out on your own which really isn’t to tough if
> one puts a little effort into it. That said there are probably many birders
> on OBOL and eBird for that matter who are rather casual and don’t really
> worry about ID one way or another unless they get a good photo. So goes it
> today...
>
> Tim R
> Coos Bay
>
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 6:20 PM Jim Leonard <photojleonard...>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for everyone's comments. Some thought this was a Western
>> Wood-Pewee but I think a majority thought it was a Willow Flycatcher.
>> Thanks again, Jim.
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 7:29 AM, Jim Leonard <photojleonard...>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I photographed what I think might be a Western Wood-Pewee at Baskett
>>> Slough NWR yesterday. What do you think? Photo by Jim Leonard.
>>>
>>> https://photos.app.goo.gl/SWYFdkbeQtqBgAA56

Join us on Facebook!