Date: 7/11/18 7:09 am
From: Linda Pivacek <lpivacek...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Nest adoption
Thanks for the report, Sean. I have seen similar behavior. There was a House Finch nest in a basket hanging on our porch. Close by there was a House Sparrow nest in a neighbor's roof gutter, but it was knocked down and eggs/young destroyed during construction. So the male House Sparrow took over feeding the House Finch nestlings. And also aggressively fought the House Finches off whenever they approached the nest! At least in your case you have a easy going Robins rather than a tough male House Sparrow.
Best, Linda

Linda Pivacek, Nahant
<lpivacel...>

> On July 11, 2018 at 6:33 AM sean riley <newburyowls...> wrote:
>

> So there is a Cedar Waxwing nest in the Belle Isle parking lot being cared for by Cedar Waxwings, and a pair of Robins. The Cedars sit there seemingly perplexed as the Robin broods and feeds the chicks, then when the Robin leaves the Cedars do the same thing... feeding , brooding.
>
> Very strange, a bit sad and comical all at the same time. The young Cedars are very well fed though. Has anyone else seen this before ?
>
> -sean riley
> Plum island
> <Newburyowls...>
>
> Sent from my iPhone