Date: 7/11/18 6:04 am
From: David Arbour <arbour...>
Subject: Red Slough Bird Survey - July 10
Rob Sanders and I surveyed birds at Red Slough yesterday and found 60
species. Things are really slowing down as far as singing among the song
birds making it hard to detect such species as the warblers. The heronry on
Pintail Lake is going strong with lots of young in the nests. A lot of the
Anhinga young have left their nests and climbed higher in the trees waiting
to be fed. Many of these look on the verge of being able to fly.
Black-bellied Whistling Ducks are hanging around some of our duck boxes and
may be egg laying. Here is our list for today:

Black-bellied Whistling Duck - 7

Wood Duck - 6

Gadwall - 1 male

Pied-billed Grebe - 2

Neotropic Cormorant - 10

Anhinga - 32

Great-blue Heron - 14

Great Egret - 89

Snowy Egret - 145

Little-blue Heron - 88

Cattle Egret - 425

Green Heron - 5

Black-crowned Night-Heron - 1

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron - 13

White Ibis - 109

Black Vulture - 8

Turkey Vulture - 19

Mississippi Kite - 29

Purple Gallinule - 15

Common Gallinule - 18 adults (also numerous broods of young.)

American Coot - 4

Killdeer - 2

Mourning Dove - 8

Yellow-billed Cuckoo - 4