Date: 7/11/18 5:24 am
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Ducks get around (the country, the world)
Here is a followup on how they tracked the *'round the world'* Long-tailed
Duck. It would have been impossible in the past to track a single duck
around the world over many years, of course because transmitters do not
last long enough and live recapture of a single bird would have vanishingly
small odds. So the story was likely a more allegorical conglomeration of
several different ducks to illustrate what was possible. However, with
continuing technological development of passive telemetric bands, that
possibility will likely be achieved in coming years.

The original poster on Tweeters points out that worldwide, Long-tailed
Ducks (like Pintails and some others) have no subspecies because of mixing,
then new pair-bond formation on the wintering grounds after which the male
follows the female to her natal area leaving his own behind, possibly for
good, thus spreading genes widely around the globe over a single duck's
lifetime (actually a drake's lifetime).

Bob OBrien

On Sat, Jul 7, 2018 at 3:31 PM, Roy Lowe <roy.loweiii...> wrote:

> A color-banded harlequin duck from McDonald Creek in Glacier NP was
> observed at the Yaquina Bay South Jetty 2-3 winters in a row during the
> mid-90’s.
>
> Interesting info on the long-tailed duck. I wonder how they were able to
> track it over multiple years and continents?
>
> Roy
>
> On Jul 6, 2018, at 9:01 PM, Robert O'Brien <baro...> wrote:
>
> A couple of amazing posts from Tweeters in WA state. The Chuwuch River is
> in north central Washington,
> a little south of the Canadian border. Bob OBrien Carver OR
>
> The banded Harlequin male I saw far up the Chewuch River was banded as a
> chick in 2012 in the upper MacDonald Creek area of Glacier National Park.
> He was most likely headed to the coast.
>
> Interestingly, the researcher said two of her Harlequins were observed on
> Lake Erie and the ATLANTIC ocean!!
>
> Libby Schreiner
> Hal Michael <ucd880...>
> 8:36 PM (15 minutes ago)
> to merdave, tweeters
> When I was taking Gamebird Biology in college the prof had a neat story
> about Long-tailed Duck migration. He said that a pair on the wintering
> grounds then returned
> to where the female was hatched. The example he gave was a male, hatched
> in Alaska. Wintered off the Pacific Coast, traveled with his mate to
> Hudson's Bay.
> Wintered off of Cape Cad, met a new female and went to Iceland. Then
> wintered in Europe and went north to Scandinavia.
> Eventually, he ended up back in Alaska having not only circled the globe
> but brought genetic variation to a lot of populations.

Join us on Facebook!