Date: 7/10/18 8:38 pm
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Is this a Western Wood-Pewee?
Jim,

Just a suggestion. Why don’t you pull out a field guide and try a tentative
ID before sending out all your photos? By that I mean saying I think it
may be X but looks a bit like Y but Z is more expected in this habitat?

I say this all because I was out doing work stuff in the field this weekend
and a work friend was with me and asked how I learned bird songs/calls? The
best way I think is to start in your backyard and work out. A bird you
chase singing and finally see an hour or two chasing will never be
forgotten. A bird song someone tells you is X without you seeing it can be
forgotten in minutes. Plus learning which birds are even options only can
happen if you do a bit of field work on your end.

Anyhow, asking others what bird you photographed without consulting a
field guide if whatever sort in the long run may not be the best way for
you to figure out what birds you are seeing/hearing although you can’t
argue about ID with a great photo (which you have many of). I just think
that one should be able to ID a photo themselves with a bird book without
asking for help as it is the best way to learn about bird ID. My two cents
and I will try and dodge all pies with my squiggly wiggly bird moves.

It isn’t easy to figure out which bird is what but I think the best and
most rewarding way is to figure out the backyard stuff, branch out, and if
you have photos pour over your field guide to narrow it down. If you just
ask what is this and don’t do some background research you will never
really be able to figure it out on your own which really isn’t to tough if
one puts a little effort into it. That said there are probably many birders
on OBOL and eBird for that matter who are rather casual and don’t really
worry about ID one way or another unless they get a good photo. So goes it
today...

Tim R
Coos Bay

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 6:20 PM Jim Leonard <photojleonard...> wrote:

> Thanks for everyone's comments. Some thought this was a Western
> Wood-Pewee but I think a majority thought it was a Willow Flycatcher.
> Thanks again, Jim.
>
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 7:29 AM, Jim Leonard <photojleonard...>
> wrote:
>
>> I photographed what I think might be a Western Wood-Pewee at Baskett
>> Slough NWR yesterday. What do you think? Photo by Jim Leonard.
>>
>> https://photos.app.goo.gl/SWYFdkbeQtqBgAA56

Join us on Facebook!