Date: 7/10/18 8:00 pm
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Subject: [obol] Bye Baba Buntings (and other oak savanna happenings)
That's "Baba" for "Dad" as in Farsi. I'm seeing a lot of fully-fledged
and fairly independent juvenile LAZULI BUNTINGS at oak savanna sites
now.

That means that adult males won't be around for much longer. From now
until early August is the time to enjoy these feathered jewels before
they migrate south. The females and young will stay around a little
longer. Bald Hill Natural Area is one of the best places to look for
them in the Corvallis area.

"OREGON" VESPER SPARROWS are well into their second nesting cycle now,
with some pairs feeding nestlings while their first batch of offspring
for the year are foraging independently, though a few females are still
on eggs.SAVANNAH SPARROWS are also on their second batch, maybe even
third batch in some cases.

I can't figure out what's happening with CHIPPING SPARROWS -- there are
a lot of youngsters in different stages flying around but I'm also
seeing adults carrying food into bushes. Now through August is the time
of year when we tend to get sight reports of juvenile Brewer's Sparrows
in the mid-Willamette Valley. My suggestion is to be cautious on those,
especially when they're in the company of Chipping Sparrows.

WESTERN BLUEBIRD, HOUSE WREN and SLENDER-BILLED (WHITE-BREASTED)
NUTHATCH families are also out and about in these habitats, as are
juvenile EUROPEAN STARLINGS. Yesterday I saw a juvenile BROWN-HEADED
COWBIRD following a flock of starlings around, and I thought, "Hmmm,
maybe that's not such a bad thing."

Happy birdwatching,
Joel

--