Date: 7/10/18 5:05 pm
From: Alyson Hoge <000002096ce84bce-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: Strange Duck
W.K. —

I googled

"brown duck with bright red beak"

and got this, which sounds exactly like your bird.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Black-bellied_Whistling-Duck/id

Besides the photos, it has descriptions, such as:

Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks roam edges of shallow ponds, golf courses, city parks, and schoolyards. They also frequent agricultural fields, particularly flooded rice fields. They seem to readily adopt human-altered habitats, and this has helped them move north into the southern U.S. in recent decades.

and then I googled

"Black-bellied Whistling-Duck not afraid of people"

and found this photo:

https://villages-news.com/76037-2/

I'd have to say these ducks are NOT afraid of people!

Alyson Hoge
Pulaski County

On Jul 10, 2018, at 02:22 PM, "W. K. Holloway" <wkholloway...> wrote:

Spotted a solitary duck I have never seen on July 7. Location: White Co., wading and foraging in a ditch on golf course. Cinnamon brown. About the size of a mallard but longer legs and neck. Very bright red bill. Narrow black streak on crown and down nape of neck. Seemed more comfortable wading than swimming. Quite docile. Was able to approach within 15 feet. Never flew off. Could this be a Black-bellied Whistling Duck? Can respond at: <wkholloway...>

Join us on Facebook!