Date: 7/10/18 1:58 pm
From: Karen And Jim Rowe <00000131a1cf8fbc-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: Strange Duck
Keep in mind that city parks and golf courses are common dumping grounds for pet ducks, and unwanted barnyard ducks that are often hybrids of several domestic and feral duck species. Tameness and lack of willingness to fly are often clues that the bird in question may not be a native wild duck species.

That being said, Black-bellied Whistling Ducks have a chestnut body, black belly, gray face, reddish (or chestnut) crown and nape. It has a white patch on the wing that looks a bit like a white stripe down its side when the bird is at rest. On land walks more upright like a goose.
Is this species not in your field guide? While the range of older guides do not show it in AR it is usually in the book
As a species found in LA and TX.

Karen Rowe

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 10, 2018, at 2:22 PM, W. K. Holloway <wkholloway...> wrote:
>
> Spotted a solitary duck I have never seen on July 7. Location: White Co., wading and foraging in a ditch on golf course. Cinnamon brown. About the size of a mallard but longer legs and neck. Very bright red bill. Narrow black streak on crown and down nape of neck. Seemed more comfortable wading than swimming. Quite docile. Was able to approach within 15 feet. Never flew off. Could this be a Black-bellied Whistling Duck? Can respond at: <wkholloway...>

Join us on Facebook!