Date: 7/10/18 1:30 pm
From: Harvey Tomlinson <oddbirdsin...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Hatch year Hummers
Hi Jersey Birders,
I've had to call out sick from birding the last few weeks (yeah I know),
but I did manage to see the Roseate Spoonbill the other day!
What a stunning bird.
My back yard is alive with Hummers.
The Hatch Year Youngsters have arrived and the Hummer Hullabaloo has begun.
It will continue to build thru September with numbers peaking in double
digits.
I now have 2 HY males ,already sporting ( 5 O'clock shadows) and a HY
female.
They have yet to learn what the feeders are and feed exclusively on the
flowers.
They are also fearless!
I can get within 5 ft of them without causing a stir.
Clean, fresh feeders are really important now.
Sooner than later the young ones will discover the feeders.
Here's to the upcoming Hummer Season!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/shearh2o/
Harvey Tomlinson
Del Haven, NJ