Date: 7/10/18 1:28 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Rollins Savannah Tuesday 7-10-18
Hello Bird People,

Thought I'd do something different from what I've been doing lately so
I went to Rollins to see what nesting/breeding birds were there. Some
birds were as expected but some were in much lower numbers than
expected, i.e. Bobolinks & Sedge Wrens. Walked the entire long loop
from the Washington Street lot & back plus the small loop trail at the
far north for a total of about 4 miles walking today. Here's my day
list.

Rollins Savannah (6:45-10:30 a.m.)

P.B. Grebe (1)
D.C. Cormorant (9)
Great Blue Heron (1)
Great Egret (3-4)
Trumpeter Swan (2-AD & 1 young)
Wood Duck (3)
Mallard (8)
Caspian Tern (1 fly-by)
Mourning Dove (4)
Red Bellied Woodpecker (H-1)
Flicker (H-2)
Eastern Pewee (H-1)
Willow Flycatcher (4)
Eastern Kingbird (3)
Tree (~20) & Barn (~10) Swallows
Crows (3-4 heard only)
Chickadee (H-2)
W.B. Nuthatch (H-3)
House Wren (H-1)
Sedge Wren (H-1)
Marsh Wren (H-1, not sure of this as it only sang once & not for long
but it was at a cattail marsh)
Robins (10-12)
Gray Catbird (1)
Starling (4)
Warbling Vireo (H-1)
Common Yellowthroat (25-30, everywhere)
Cardinal (H-1)
Field Sparrow (H-2)
Henslow's Sparrow (3-4)
Song Sparrow (~18)
Swamp Sparrow (4)
Bobolink (2-3)
Red Wings (~30)
Eastern Meadowlark (4)
Grackle (1 fly-by)
Cowbirds (10-12, too many)
Baltimore Oriole (1)
Goldfinch (8-10)
House Sparrow (a few by the parking lot building)

Heard but did not see a Sedge Wren early on but didn't worry as I
figured I'd get more later but that proved to be somewhat optimistic
as none were found & then I couldn't re-find the 1st one.
Also, only heard a Bobolink but again figured I'd see more later but
again did not. Went back to where I had the heard only one & this time
I did see 2 males. Still that's a very low total for both species.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Henslow's Sparrows all of which were seen
between the observation area and the Drury Lane parking lot.
Runners-Up to the Trumpeter Swans & the few Bobolinks.

Al Stokie
In Lake County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: