Date: 7/10/18 12:48 pm
From: COBirds <redbear44...>
Subject: [cobirds] Re: Shocking Saga at Sand Dunes
John,

That is a great account and pics. I would agree with Dave L. that it is a
Western Terrestrial Gartersnake (which will have the western dropped off
its name soon I believe - *Thamnophis elegans*)). Most snakes will climb,
many better than others, but especially the colubrids. The aquatic snakes
will as well (the Natricinae subfamily, or family now). I worked on Guam
with the brown tree snake for a few years and they are truly arboreal with
a prehensile tail (they can raise themselves straight up from the vent to
the tip of the tail - most snakes can't perform that feat). They could
climb trees like nothing - most species struggle a bit.

You were wondering what attracted the snake. They have a keen sense of
smell and cells sluffed by the chicks and adults that drop below the nest
and in the wind attract them to the site. With brown tree snakes, an
invasive species on Guam that wiped out 9 of the 11 forest birds, trapping
was found to be much more efficient with live mice than dead mice or any
type of lure (they would eat anything - found with rib bones in them and so
on). It was attributed to the cells continually sluffed and reinforcing
the smell below the nest. The wind helps it spread giving them an
indication where it is coming from by the amount they can smell. They are
able to see and hear prey, but smell is their forte.

I also have a recent story - I was in the Dominican Republic and a
Hispaniolan Boa which was consuming, what I believed to be, a White-crowned
Pigeon (just the dark tail fan was sticking out). The boa was maybe 5-6
feet without much of a girth and fifteen feet up a tree. It was hanging
half out of a tree swallowing the pigeon which looked to be at least four
times wider than its body. Dave did a great job explaining the "hows," but
I am always amazed how efficient they are.

Great story - nature is amazing!

Tom Hall
Fort Collins, CO