Date: 7/10/18 10:06 am
From: Ian Carlsen <i.a.carlsen...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] RUGR, BCNH - Mill Brook Preserve - Westbrook
Hi all,

Had an adventurous morning exploring the Mill Brook Preserve in Westbrook.
Would recommend it to all. Some lovely mixed and deciduous forest, small
waterfalls, winding trails and a few early successional forest habitats.

I spooked a ruffed grouse (my first in Cumberland County) in habitat with
some good drumming logs to check back in on come next spring. I also found
a black-crowned night heron looking for some leftover alewives, and a
barred owl getting mobbed by a group of daring chickadees. Twenty seven
species total.

The bridge at the south end appears washed-out (it's just sitting in the
middle of the riverbed about 10 feet from either side) so loops get a
little trickier. I had to scamper across a fallen tree to connect back with
the path along the west bank.

Tried my hardest to spot a Louisiana warbler, but wasn't able to locate
any. Great habitat for them, and it looks like a few others have had luck
there on eBird.

My list:
https://ebird.org/atlasme/view/checklist/S47111181

If you're in the southern Maine area and are looking for a new spot check
it out.

Happy birding,

Ian