Date: 7/10/18 6:39 am
From: Norman Erthal <normerthal...>
Subject: [cobirds] AOS Species changes
The American Ornithological Society has announce some changes. I would
expect these will be adopted when Cornell announces the Clements update in
August.

Here is the link to them.
http://blog.aba.org/2018/06/aos2018.html

Some information I thought might be of interest. You can read the
following about species changes: It also has a podcast discussing them.

Gray Jay is restored to Canada Jay.

The woodpecker genus Picoides is also rearranged.

The entire Ammodramus genus is to be split into 3 genera with Grasshopper
Sparrow along with Grassland Sparrow and Yellow-browed Sparrow of South
America remaining in Ammodramus.

White-collared Seedeater is being split into 2 species:

Cinnamon-rumped Seedeater from Jalisco to Guanajuato and W Puebla to Oaxaca

Morelet's Seedeater encompassing the remainder of the range from Texas to
Panama

Some other changes considered but apparently not approved

Yellow warbler was proposed to be split into 2 species. This might not
happen as there appears to be no good dividing line.

Mexican Duck is being considered to return to a full species.

Taiga and Tundra Bean Goose are considered being lumped. Apparently there
was no DNA evidence used when they were split.

Norm Erthal

Arvada CO