Date: 7/9/18 7:18 pm
From: Harry Glasgow via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk
A beautiful, cool, dry morning welcomed the 30 or so birders on today's Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk.  We tallied 49 species with notables being the persistent Mallard Hybrid pair we are told is called a Cayuga hybrid.  We were visited by several children who sere fascinated by Herons, both Great Blue and Green.  We hold the belief that introducing children to birding while exploring nature is the greatest service our group  can provide

Canada Goose  41
Wood Duck  11
Mallard  11
Mallard x American Black Duck (hybrid)  2    Great Blue Heron  8
Green Heron  9
Osprey  1
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Mourning Dove  5
Yellow-billed Cuckoo  3
Chimney Swift  20
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  3
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  3
Downy Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker  2
Pileated Woodpecker  3
Eastern Wood-Pewee  2
Acadian Flycatcher  5
Eastern Phoebe  2
Great Crested Flycatcher  1
Eastern Kingbird  5
Red-eyed Vireo  4
Blue Jay  1
American Crow  2
Fish Crow  20
Tree Swallow  2
Barn Swallow  25
Carolina Chickadee  2
Tufted Titmouse  4
White-breasted Nuthatch  3
Carolina Wren  6
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  3
Eastern Bluebird  3
American Robin  12
Gray Catbird  2
European Starling  2
Prothonotary Warbler  4
Common Yellowthroat  7
Yellow Warbler  1
Northern Cardinal  7
Blue Grosbeak  2
Indigo Bunting  4
Red-winged Blackbird  21
Brown-headed Cowbird  1
Common Grackle  15
House Finch  2
American Goldfinch  11

The Monday Morning Birdwalk has been a weekly event at Huntley Meadows since 1985. It takes place every week, rain or shine (except during electrical storms, strong winds, or icy trails), at 7AM (8AM from October through April), is free of charge, requires no reservation, and is open to all. Birders meet in the parking lot at the Park's entrance at 3701 Lockheed Blvd, Alexandria, VA. Questions should be directed to Park staff during normal business hours at (703)768-2525.

Harry Glasgow
Nancy VehrsFriends of Huntley Meadows Park