Date: 7/9/18 2:33 pm
From: Marv Breece <marvbreece...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Hayton shorebirds
There were shorebirds yesterday at Hayton Reserve on Fir Island in Skagit County. I put one shorebird video on Flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/138163614@N02/42587799104/in/datetaken-family/

The flock consisted of more than 30 birds at the water's edge of the channel just north of the main pond. Most were WESTERN SANDPIPERS. In the video, the first bird to land is a SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER. There are 2 or 3 more semis. Near the end of the video a LEAST SANDPIPER appears in the lower left corner.

Immediately after taking this video, I replaced the camera on the tripod with a scope. While observing this flock thru 60 power from about 75 feet, an adult PEREGRINE FALCON appeared in my view and grabbed one of the peeps before any of these birds reacted to the attack. The falcon flew in and took the bird from the ground. Before any of the peeps could react. About 10 minutes later, while I was observing a flock of 20 LEAST SANDPIPERS in flight over the main pond, an adult peregrine flew into the flock and left with another one.

--
Marv Breece
Tukwila, WA

Concepts shape our world.