Date: 7/9/18 1:52 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Montrose Beach & Techny North Monday 7-9-18
Hello Bird People,

Three or four time now someone has seen Piping Plover at Montrose & 3
or 4 times I have gone the next day & NOT seen Piping Plover.
Yesterday's sighting was of an unbanded one so this one would probably
not head back to Waukegan as the other ones did but it was still a no
show. Perhaps I had too much good luck yesterday at Spears Woods? I
only covered the beach & dunes & did not cover the hedge area except
to walk through it so I have a limited list. I followed this up with a
visit to
Techny North to look for new shorebirds but only found repeats.

Montrose Beach & Dunes (6:15-9:15 a.m.)

Canada Geese (8)
Mallard (14)
Killdeer (11 adults & 4 good sized young ones, Luis M calls them teenagers)
Lesser Yellowlegs (1)
Spotted Sandpiper (4)
Least Sandpiper (4)
Ring Billed (~140) & Herring (2) Gulls
Caspian Tern (4)
Eastern Phoebe (1 sitting on a rope barrier)
Purple Martin (2)
Tree, Bank, Rough Winged & Barn Swallows (no counts this time)
Crows (2)
Robin (1)
Red Wings (~10)
House Finch (1-M)
House Sparrow (1-F)

Hedge Area (Mostly heard only)

Blue Jays, House Wren, Robins, Gray Catbird, Warbling Vireo, Yellow
Warbler, Cardinal, Red Wings, Grackles, Cowbirds, Goldfinch & House
Sparrows.

Techny North Of Willow (10-10:45 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (1-AD & 2 young)
Great Blue Heron (4)
Great Egret (2)
Canada Geese (the usual 24)
Wood Duck (1-F with 6 small young)
Mallard (~22 including some small young ones)
Red Tailed Hawk (1 had caught a snake)
Killdeer (72-AD & 2 young)
Lesser Yellowlegs (2)
Solitary Sandpiper (5)
Spotted Sandpiper (16)
Least Sandpiper (5)
Ring Billed Gull (1-AD flying)
Caspian Terns (12, numbers growing)
Barn Swallow (2)
Robins (2)
Heard 1 each Savannah & Song Sparrow & a few Red Wings were there too

Nothing special on this hot day but I will go with the Caspian Terns
as Bird-Of-The-Day &
Runner-Up can be the Lesser Yellowlegs & the Eastern Phoebe. This was
the 1st time this Summer I've had over 100 shorebirds (102 at Techny
North) but that was because there were 74 Killdeer which sort of takes
the glamour off of that total.

License Plate Of The Day to one from Utah seen on the Edens Expressway

Al Stokie
Local in Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: