Date: 7/9/18 12:32 pm
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqvr...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Hermann's Gull & Mute Swan in Salt Pond A16
Quick FYI on Heerman's. I saw a report on them in the Morro Bay/SLO list
about ten days ago indicating large numbers (5000ish) were being seen down
there, so they seem to be moving north. The bad news is they reported zero
juveniles in the birds counted, which indicates another nesting failure.

Kind of related to that, the elegant terns that have been nesting in Mexico
and also seeing nesting failures moved into the refuges along the border in
San Diego (12,000 by reports) and nested, so they seem to be moving their
nesting location north. No word on how successful that was.

The nesting failures are being attributed to warmer waters offshore driving
food supplies the birds use further away or out of the area. This has also
been affecting Brown Pelicans. I find it interesting the terns have decided
to shift the nesting colony (or at least some of them have), presumably
because of this.

I realize Heerman's is much more of a coastal bird than a bay bird around
here, but if you're out and about and see the species, I'd suggest it's an
important bird to report in eBird and if you can document adult/juvenile
numbers if you see them, that will be helpful for research.

--
Chuq Von Rospach
<chuqvr...>

On July 9, 2018 at 11:41:31 AM, Bob Reiling (<rreiling2...>) wrote:

This morning (7/9/2018) while looking for the MUTE SWAN in Salt Pond A16
(eventually located in the far northwestern portion of the pond) I saw a
HERMANN'S GULL on island #18.