Date: 7/9/18 11:44 am
From: Amanda Tichacek <amanda.tichacek...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: IBET Palos-Spears Woods (Never Give Up!) Sunday 7-8-18
Hello birders. Based on Al's report, this morning Monday July 9th I checked
Spear's Woods for the Yellow-throated Warbler. I was there for nearly two
hours, and did not hear it singing although I did get a late start
(9:30AM). Ran into Ron, who arrived an hour earlier and had not heard the
YTWA singing (though he did have the Summer Tanager, which I missed).

Maybe somebody else will be able to relocate the Yellow-throated Warbler.
Please keep us posted through IBET and/or eBird!

Amanda T.
Skokie, Cook Co.

On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 1:37 PM, Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <
<ILbirds-noreply...> wrote:

> Hello Bird People,
>
> Was going to go to Montrose for shorebirds but I saw on ebird that
> Suzy D had a Yellow Throated Warbler at Spears Woods. Since everyone
> who wanted that species had probably already seen it in the Doug Stotz
> back yard I figured few would be looking for it & no one was there
> when I arrived.
> Looked for 30 min but no Warbler was seen or heard. Next I decided to
> try for Summer Tanager at the only place in Palos where I hadn't
> looked yet which was where Wes Serafin told us to look last year near
> 95th Street which you can walk to from the Spears Woods parking lot.
> Did the walk & looked & listened for the Tanager but no Tanager was
> there. Things were not going very well to say the least. But on the
> way back things improved.
>
> Walking back & listening to many Eastern Pewee's. Eastern Towhee's ,
> Blue Jays, Catbirds, Field & Song Sparrows & Indigo Buntings I stopped
> for one male Eastern Bluebird which was the only fairly interesting
> bird I had so far. Then I found one Red Headed Woodpecker & then 2
> followed by one PILEATED WOODPECKER & then 2. Well no day with 2
> Pileated Woodpeckers is a bad day!
>
> Back to the Spears Woods parking lot & tried again for the Yellow
> Throated Warbler. But now I could hear it singing or at least I
> thought I could but it was near the road & was mostly drowned out by
> traffic so I could not be sure. Spent the next hour trying to find
> this bird but could only "sort of" hear it singing. But I hate "heard
> only" birds & will go to great lengths to see the bird. Finally I had
> to admit that it was "heard only" or nothing when the YELLOW THROATED
> WARBLER showed itself making me very glad I kept after it so long. It
> hopped around silently for a few minutes & then went farther away &
> started singing again but as it was now away from the road you could
> hear it better & there was no doubt as to what I was hearing. But I'd
> already seen it so that didn't really matter. But another miracle was
> to come.
>
> Walked back to the car to leave when I saw a red bird in a tree but I
> had already seen a Cardinal or 2 in the lot & figured that's what it
> was. But it was NOT a Cardinal. It started singing a very
> Un-Cardinal song but that's as the red bird was a male SUMMER TANAGER!
>
> So after thinking I had failed on all my targets it turns out I was
> successful on both.
> Never Give up!
>
> Bird-Of-The-Day will be a tie between the Yellow Throated Warbler &
> the Summer Tanager as I had worked long & hard (in different ways) to
> see them both.
> Runner-Up to the 2 Pileated Woodpeckers which normally would have been
> top bird, not today
>
> Al Stokie
> In the Palos area of Cook County today

Join us on Facebook!