Date: 7/8/18 9:43 pm
From: Leith McKenzie <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender loinneilceol for DMARC)
Subject: [obol] Re: Photo: Need help on identification
So here is the google image search for Least Sandpiper.  Good luck finding a bird like the one Jim photographed.
 https://www.google.com/search?q=least+sandpiper&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwin1cDkl5HcAhUKsxQKHcvXDxkQ_AUICigB
Hard to tell from just one pic from behind, but this strikes me as a worn adult Least. They can be remarkably dark and plain looking.

Alan ContrerasEugene, Oregon
<acontrer56...>
www.alanlcontreras.com

On Jul 6, 2018, at 10:04 PM, Leith McKenzie (Redacted sender "loinneilceol" for DMARC) <dmarc-noreply...> wrote:

My first reaction to the picture was Dunlin. That can't be right, but I think it's closer than any other species. I see it larger than a peep. Dark feathering of the upperparts is not explainable as a known species or known hybrid. Underparts appear to be stunningly white and unstreaked which fits nothing either. I think the bill looks better for Dunlin better than anything else. If I was free, I would put in some time to relocate this bird, as it may be important to science. My intuition is that DNA would show the parents are Dunlin, but expressed in a novel phenotype.

Date: Tue Jul 3 2018 8:40 amFrom: photojleonard AT gmail.comI was at Taverner's Marsh along Coville Rd. ("The Narrows") at Baskett Slough NWR yesterday and photographed this young bird. I need help with identification. It was larger than a sandpiper. The water is getting low so some shorebirds are showing up. I photographed a Western & Least Sandpiper and some Greater Yellowlegs. Click on link below for photo. Thanks for your help. Photo by Jim Leonard.https://photos.app.goo.gl/arDn...

“Each of us is in truth an idea of the Great Gull and an unlimited idea of freedom.”

Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Join us on Facebook!