Date: 7/8/18 7:01 pm
From: Jeff Bilsky <jbilsky...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Skokie Lagoons Forest Preserve--Willow Rd., Cook, Illinois, US
Great evening for a hike at Skokie Lagoons. Highlights included evidence
that at least one AMERICAN REDSTART nest had success as I saw two
youngsters in vicinity of an adult female. Also heard/saw two adult males
singing. A pair of EASTERN PHOEBES that had previously had a nest failure
have given it another shot and have an active nest they are visiting that
has young in it. Also saw new hatchlings of Robins, Mallards and Wood
Ducks. One SPOTTED SANDPIPER was around - unclear if there was any nesting
success for them as the significant flooding could've impacted them - as it
did others, like the PROTHONOTARY WARBLERS of which I had two males this
evening. The one nest I did know about was completely destroyed, the tree
it was in has collapsed. The other nest I was watching may've been flooded
over as well. One GREAT HORNED OWL was being mobbed/chased by Blue Jays in
the woods. A MONK PARAKEET flew over, heading south and allowed just a
brief look and lots of audibles. My favorite part of the hike though, was
the many CEDAR WAXWINGS along the water's edge. At first I thought I was
being perceived as a predator/threat as they were flying very close to me.
But then I realized they were actually just fly-catching the many insects
buzzing around me and didn't care about my presence. This allowed for some
amazing, up-close, eye level looks and photos. Good Birding.

List with some photos: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47078812

Skokie Lagoons Forest Preserve--Willow Rd., Cook, Illinois, US
Jul 8, 2018 4:25 PM - 6:26 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.09 mile(s)
42 species