Date: 7/8/18 6:28 pm
From: <jacksonwrxt89...>
Subject: [NHBirds] White Mountain Birding
Today I was joined by Scott Heron in doing some birding in the White Mountains. The weather was beyond perfect and the turnout of birds was almost just as nice. We started by hiking up a short way passed the “pot hole” rocks on the Caps Ridge Trail first thing. We then stopped by Pondicherry NWR in Jefferson before finishing the day at Trudeau Road in Bethlehem. The following are the highlights of our trip:

Caps Ridge Trail: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47065127
Gray Jay - One juvenile up beyond “pot hole” rocks.
https://flic.kr/p/28SA8KU
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher - 2
Boreal Chickadees - 6, Including a group of fledglings not far from the trailhead.
Bicknell’s Thrush - 4, two near “pot hole” rocks, one just up the trail from the rocks and one more surprisingly far down the trail from the rocks.
Blackpoll Warbler - 11
FOX SPARROW - 1, singing bird up the trail from “pot hole” rocks. Only sang twice or three times, but we heard it well. It’s interesting to see how far this species has spread through the Whites since my fellow field tech discovered one on Dixville Peak in 2011.
White-winged Crossbill - 3, along the trail below the rocks.
Pine Siskin - 12

Pondicherry NWR: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47069952
American Bittern - 1, seen flying over and landing in some swamp on the edge of Little Cherry Pond.
SOLITARY SANDPIPER - 1, a surprising flyover at Little Cherry Pond. Initially heard it call then got a visual as the bird flew off and out of sight. Seems a little early.
Palm Warbler - 1, an unfamiliar bird song was coming from the marshes around Little Cherry Pond. It took me a minute, but I realized it was a Palm Warbler. We eventually ended up getting good looks at it from the viewing platform.
https://flic.kr/p/28SA8Ko

-Dylan Jackson
Goshen

Sent from my iPhone